Friday, November 13, 2009

Educational Game Review


I was recently asked to review an educational game. The game that I opted to review is one that I use in my classroom when students have some down time or have finished their work early. Free Rice is a vocabulary building game that deals solely with synonyms while also tackling the social issue of helping to end World Hunger. Free Rice is partnered with the UN World Food Program. When a player correctly chooses the appropriate synonym for the given word, The UN World Food Program donates 10 grains of rice to help end World Hunger. The developers obviously have a global conscience and want to give back to their world.

My only criticism of this particular game was that it lacked in variety. After reading a colleague's review of the game, I found that many individuals wished that there was more subject variety available. However, with further investigation I found that there is a tab at the top of the web page that offers many different subjects from Art to Foreign Language skills. That is a plus in my book and I look forward to having my students work with the additional skills.




No comments:

Post a Comment