Wednesday, April 7, 2010

WV Girl and Thoughts of West Virginia


W.Va. Girl
by Mike Morningstar


You've been carryin' heartache 'round these small and dirty towns

Clutched-up in your heart and soul Bluefield to Wheeling town

I've seen you down in the coal mine shacks, in the mountains of the north

And the southern farmlands cracked your hands, to show these men your worth



West Virginia Girl I've loved you from the start, WVa Girl these songs I sing for you

For I know God loves you in his heart, God knows I love you too



With all the weight of decades upon you as you strive

With the poverty around your door, the wisdom in your eyes

Don't the coal dust ever make you weep as it sifts into your sod

Don't your tears e'er seem to blur your sleep, come a dreamin' out for God



You have seen your sons and husbands carried from those mines

With a "coal tattoo" deep in their chest, a death stare in their eyes

Down in Farmington I heard your cries and I felt your misery too

Small comfort tho' my song may bring, I'm singin' it for you



Now I sing this song for every West Virginia Girl I've known

And for every one I'll never know who shares this mountain home

For my Mama and my Grandma, all who gave their love to me

For the Gypsy and her mother, and the "one who would not be"



Assignment: 
 
Today, I would like you to take a minute and reflect on what you just read, what has recently happened within our community, and what the state of West Virginia means to you, to other residents, and also what it might mean to outsiders.  How has technology helped and hindered us?  How are West Virginians perceived?  Construct a well developed, thoughtful, grammatically correct, and rich (meaning has links, pictures, etc) blog that addresses those thoughts.  Once you have finished your blog, read two other posts from peers or from me and make comment.  Begin a dialog. 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture chez! This blog really made me think about how lucky I am. It also gave me a chance to express my opinions on the steriotypes that are frequently made about west virginians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffiney,
    Thanks. I think it is a beautiful picture too. I'm glad that you enjoyed this post and were able to have a voice. Keep up the advocating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This picture makes me realize just how amazing our mountain state is! I really love the lyrics to this song to. I think it captures the true heritage and history of our state.

    ReplyDelete